Jem, a Movie! #Jemthemovie - I vote yes!

Jem logo.jpg
From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jem_(TV_series)
If you ever lived in Sri Lanka and was born in the 1980's, you may remember Jem & The Holograms. In my mind, it falls in to the category of Thundercats, Ninja Turtles, Silver Hawks and a whole host of other cartoons that belong to our childhood. Out generation.

Jem was special for reasons unknown to me, many many years later. Mybe it was that very first episode, where their parents had died, foster kids all alone, an empire of a music industry, an evil legal guardian and a mysterious magical gift in the form of Synergy. How could it not be a hit?

 Perhaps it was the magic behind it, the romance, the music, the glamour and fashion. Maybe it was the sense of family and love, community and good even in those who were evil, all portrayed through something as simple as a cartoon at that age. For me, I know it was also the first taste of anything soap opera-like. I mean, it was drama. It was crazy story lines and a lot of adult like issues, Jerica dealt with her business, there was the issue of Jerica vs Jem, and who the guy really loved. I remember one particular episode, Jem was in Venice, and they finally answer the question of how one guy can be attracted to so many holograms that Synergy created of Jerica. I was always touched by the answer, as a child - no matter what form she took, it was her personality and who she was the guy (i forget his name!) was attracted to. As an adult of course, I am more cycnical. But oh well.

It was simply that. It was a childhood memory and innocence, in its purest form.

So. A MOVIE?! Yes, yes yes!! I've googled this over the years, on and off. Read multiple lamentations of fellow fans who suggested how this would be an awesome idea. I think there is a market for it. I know I would go and see it. The hashtag is #Jemthemovie. Share it with as many people as you can. I know I will.

In the meantime, don't believe me? Read more about it here:

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/videos/jem-and-the-holograms-live-action-movie-in-the-works-20140320

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2014/03/21/why-a-jem-and-the-holograms-film-matters/

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/a-jem-and-the-holograms-live-action-movie-is-actually-in-the

www.jemthemovie.com

Let me know what you think. As you may have judged by this post, I am quite over the moon. I don't remember being this excited about any movie to date. JEM!

"truly truly truly outrageous, ohhhh Jeeeem!"

Comments

  1. movie?? Finally something to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I read recently they've picked the cast :) I really hope they don't ruin it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

The Perfect Sri Lankan Watalappan

WhatsApp isn't a SERVICE & I'm not on FB -- why MY data?

Train Excursions in Sri Lanka