WhatsApp isn't a SERVICE & I'm not on FB -- why MY data?

When Facebook added Whatsapp for 19 Million in 2016 to the list of social media platforms it already owned, I suppose we all knew what that meant. And so, the day has finally arrived when FB does the usual bullying tactic -- where it begins to aggressively make you agree to the arbitrary data collecting activities it has been doing for a while anyway. 

Basically, it's sort of like the mob boss reminding you that it is time to PAY UP. How? With your DATA.

I know this sounds dramatic, because honestly it IS! I for one am sick of the FANTASY that the stuff we download for FREE comes without a price. Joke's on us, folks.  

I won't go into the nitty-gritty of what data collection really means because as a non-tech person who reads enough to know it is bad, I don't even care. Just google that part and sure, continue along your way if it doesn't bother you. I DO however care how they push us around and it feels like the last straw. 

I am not on any social media platforms. I deleted facebook. I deleted Instagram. Why does FB want my data????

I am ANGRY they have no qualms about giving us an ultimatum. 

I recognize they are more than welcome to do so, as THEY own us. We ALL (all of our friends and family) use an application we THINK is "FREE" but it is NOT. 

And herein lies the TRUTH.

Companies don't spend millions of dollars each year to provide a "service" to us. Ads aren't the ONLY thing they sell. WE are the product. If anyone watched the Social Dilemma on Netflix, I suppose it does a better job of explaining this. 

Long rant short: I SWITCHED TO SIGNAL. Sure, Edward Snowden and Elon Musk have both supported it, among other non-famous tech people in my life. I downloaded the app today and donated $5 to the platform.I did not share my contacts list, although I suppose I might eventually cave (it takes longer to cut and paste a phone number in there and I end up giving them the numbers of the users anyway. i just hate sharing numbers of my contacts that don't use it).

So, for now, I've heard Telegram and Signal are better than the rest -- do your research, obviously. I am getting my friends and family to switch by February. I'll continue to pay for the services I use from now on because I don't mind a few dollars here and there each month to ensure WE can have privacy protections. I'll also do a better job advocating for rules and regulations to keep these companies in check. 

GOOD LUCK to you out there. We are not alone if we all band together and remind them there is power in the collective. See you out there! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Perfect Sri Lankan Watalappan